Why Should You Think About Dental Implants?
Missing teeth can significantly impact your life, creating some difficulty in everyday activities like eating, chewing, and speaking. Although modern dental therapeutic procedures have resulted in a substantial reduction in the number of teeth extortion each year, many people still have one or more missing natural teeth in their mouth.
According to research, “nearly 70% of American people aged 35-44 have lost at least one of their natural teeth”. If you are one of them and looking for a permanent replacement option for a missing tooth, then dental implants should be your first choice!
A dental implant is a surgical element that interfaces with the jaw bone to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown or bridge and act as an orthodontic anchor. It is a very safe and successful procedure to get the beautiful smile on the face by replacing the missing tooth.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
The success and durability of dental implants depend on their ability to form a direct alliance between an implant and bone, without interposing soft tissue. This process is known as osseointegration and ensures that any prosthesis placed over the implant remains retained and stable.
Who Should Get Dental Implants?
In general, any person who has one or more missing natural teeth can go with dental implant treatment. You should consider getting an implant if:
- You want a long term and durable replacement for your missing natural teeth.
- You want to restore your facial esthetics by getting missing teeth replaced.
- You want to get rid of your inconvenient and uncomfortable dentures.
- If you want your lost confidence back.
Why Are Implants Better Than Other Dental Prosthetics?
Dental implants are getting extensive popularity as the most suitable and long-lasting replacement option for missing teeth. Let’s discuss why you should choose dental implants over other tooth replacement options :
- Enjoy a Beautiful Smile – Broken teeth not only break your confidence but also ruin your smile and facial esthetics. The esthetically pleasing dental prosthesis can be placed over the implants to give you your beautiful and charming smile back.
- Durability – Unlike dentures and dental bridges, dental implants are meant to last forever. If you take proper care of your oral health, quit smoking, and follow your dentist’s instructions properly, you can expect them to function for a lifetime.
- Not Affect Existing Teeth – In teeth bridges, even replacing a single tooth needs a reduction of the adjacent teeth. On the other hand, dental implants’ placement does not require any preparation or reduction of the adjacent teeth, thereby not affecting the natural tooth structure.
- Improved Oral Hygiene – Maintaining proper hygiene around dental bridges can be challenging as the brush’s bristles cannot remove food particles from beneath them. As a result, additional oral care measures may be needed to attain optimal dental health. Unlike dentures and bridges, dental implants don’t need any additional precautions. You can clean your dental implants in the same way as you clean your natural teeth, allowing you to maintain excellent oral hygiene and physical health.
How are They Placed?
The placement of dental implants is usually brought out in multiple stages. The following steps are involved in the placement of dental implants:
- Formulation of a Treatment Plan: Before placing an implant, your dentist will look at your medical and dental records to ensure whether your jawbones are good enough for the treatment or not. If the dentist finds any calamities, they will prepare a treatment tailored to your dental needs.
- Placement of the Implant: In the next stage, your dentist makes a cut to open your gum and exposes the bone. Holes are drilled into the bone deeply to implant a metal post. At this point, you’ll still have missing teeth. A type of partial, temporary denture can be placed for appearance if needed.
- Provision of a Prosthesis over the Implant: A healing abutment is placed over the implant, and the overlying soft tissues are joined to allow healing of the surgical area. Once healing has taken place, the healing abutment is removed, and a prosthetic is mounted to the implant.
Affordable dental implants are the best solution to get rid of missing teeth. So say goodbye to your dentures today and start enjoying your dental implants’ ease and comfort by communicating with your dentist about the chances of getting dental implants.
At Mount Pleasant & Charleston, S.C. Dental Office, we have been practicing dentistry for years and are committed to delivering the best care to our patients. We will provide you various options to replace your teeth in a compassionate and understanding way. So what are you waiting for? Get the benefits of our FREE CONSULTATION and make the decision to get back your beautiful smile filled with 32 teeth.